Cookies are files that contain small amounts of data that websites store in the browser of the user who visits them and are necessary to bring to web browsing countless advantages in the provision of interactive services.
The following information on the possible types of cookies helps to better understand the functions they make possible:
- Session cookies: these are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie space of your computer until you close your browser, so that none of them are registered in the user's disk. The information obtained by means of these cookies is used to make possible the operative management with each of the users who are accessing the website simultaneously.
- Persistent cookies: These are cookies that remain stored in the cookie space of your computer once the browser is closed, and that you will revisit this website the next time you access it to remember information that facilitates navigation (access directly to the service without the need to log in) or the provision of a commercial service (offering those products or services related to previous visits).
Cookies exchanged when browsing a website may be:
- Cookies of origin or own: These are cookies generated by the website you are visiting.
- Third party cookies: These are cookies that are received when you browse this website, but that have been generated by a third party service that is hosted on it. An example may be the cookie used by an ad or banner advertisement on the website we visit. Another may be the cookie used by a visitor counter hired by the website we visit.
Cookies can be used for:
- Technical purposes: These are also known as "strictly necessary". They allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist on it, such as controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access parts, remembering the elements that make up an order, making the purchase process of an order, making the request for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during navigation, storing content for the dissemination of videos or sound or share content via social networks.
- Customization: They make it possible for each user to configure aspects such as the language in which they want to view the website, visualization formats, etc.
- Analysis or performance: They allow us to measure the number of visits and browsing criteria of different areas of the website, application or platform and allow us to draw up browsing profiles of the users of these sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of usage data collected by users of the service.
- Advertising: They allow the implementation of efficiency parameters in the advertising offered on web pages.
- Behavioral Advertising: They allow the implementation of parameters of efficiency in the advertising offered on the web pages, based on information about user behavior obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to show advertising based on it.